ICS THIRD INTERIM REPORT ON EXPLOSIONS IN VERY LARGE TANKERS
This third report in a series deals with the explosions while tank cleaning in three very large crude oil carriers "Marpessa," "Kong Haakon VII," and "Mactra" between 12 and 29 December 1969. The Tanker Committee of ICS through a sub-committee started very extensive investigations into the cause. This third report presents a summation of research in static electrical charges that have the potential to cause explosions. Instructions in practical tank cleaning methods and safe equipment are suggested to prevent future tank cleaning explosions. Future research projects are outlined to improve safety in tank cleaning operations.
International Chamber of Shipping30-32 St Mary Axe
London EC3 8ET, England
- Publication Date: 1973-5-7
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Cleaning; Marine safety; Safety; Safety equipment; Standards; Storage tanks; Tankers; Tanks (Containers); Ventilation systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Safety standards
- Old TRIS Terms: Tank cleaning; Tank venting; Tanker safety
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00048129
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Institute of Merchant Shipping
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM