WATER POLICIES FOR THE FUTURE
The Commission has examined virtually the entire range of water resources problems facing the Nation, including the effects of water management on the Nation's economy and on its environment and how the differences between these two major objectives can be best resolved. The problems of reconciling Federal and State water law have been addressed, as have the problems of integrating ground water and surface water management. Each of the important purposes for which water is used has been studied, and appropriate policies have been drawn for improving both water-related programs and organizational arrangements. Ways in which existing water supplies can be used more efficiently and present supplies can be augmented have also been examined. Standards by which interbasin transfers of water and other kinds of water projects should be judged have been developed and ways in which water management decision making can be improved have been formulated. The report considers the problems of acquiring basic water data and pursuing research so that management of the Nation's water resources can be more knowledgeably and effectively based. Finally, the financing of future water programs as well as the important question of how and by whom the cost of water programs should be paid are also addressed. An extensive presentation is made on the cost and development of inland waterways. Projections on the possible methods for putting inland waterways on a pay as you go basis is recommended.
- Final report to the President and to the Congress of the United States.
National Water Commission800 North Quincy Street
Arlington, VA USA 22203
- Publication Date: 1973-6
- Pagination: 579 p.
- TRT Terms: Environmental protection; Marine transit; User charges; Water conservation; Water pollution; Water quality management; Water resources; Water transportation; Waterways
- Old TRIS Terms: Waterway transportation
- Subject Areas: Environment; Finance; Marine Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00048122
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Water Commission
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM