DEVELOPMENT OF A POLLUTION-FREE CARGO TANK CLEANING SYSTEM FOR USE ON BOARD TANKERS
This report describes the work undertaken to develop a pollution free cargo tank cleaning system. The basic system developed is a closed tank cleaning system using magnesium sulfate brine as the recirculated cleaning fluid. Detailed description of the rationale for using magnesium sulfate brine as the cleaning fluid is included in the report as well as the effects of using this brine in lieu of sea water for washing tanks. The tests performed in the course of the project are described and the results given. In addition, the preliminary design of a practical shipboard system, including the separator, is included together with basic operating and maintenance procedures.
- Sponsored by the New York State Sea Grant Program and NOAA Office of Sea Grants, Department of Commerce.
State University of New York Maritime College, BronxBronx, NY United States
- Femenia, J
- Publication Date: 1972-12
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Cleaning; Oil recovery equipment; Pollution control; Storage tanks; Tankers; Water quality management
- Old TRIS Terms: Tank cleaning; Tanker pollution prevention
- Subject Areas: Environment; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00048110
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: DOC-2-35281
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 2004 12:00AM