URBAN OVER THE WATER TRANSPORTATION
This report assesses the potential of Over-The-Water (OTW) mass transit mode to satisfy American urban requirements. Volume I presents a summary of report results, an annotated bibliography and acknowledgements. A list of 161 references is given. Volume II considers the characteristics of the various presently available high-speed OTW craft, such as surface effect vehicles and hydrofoils, manufactured in the U.S. and abroad. Operator's experiences are reviewed. Vehicle data and noise problems are reviewed in appendices. Volume III presents a potential passenger demand and route study for ten cities. An estimate of 1980 demand is based on this data. Implications of capital required, operating costs, employment, automobiles displaced, and economic feasibility are outlined. Rationale and criteria for evaluation of proposals and demonstrations are presented. Volume IV presents a set of alternative demonstration programs for OTW urban mass transportation. These include suggested demonstrations and planning, research and development, synthesis and implementations, timing, organization and costs of three sizes of programs. Volume IV is an UMTA internal working document.
- NTIS prices: Vol. 1, PB-216066, $3.00; Vol. 2, PB-216067, $3.00; Vol. 3, PB-216068, $3.00.
Interplan Corporation100 North Hope Avenue
Santa Barbara, CA United States
- Krzyczkowski, R
- Campbell, T S
- Henneman, S S
- Hufschmid, A
- Bekker, M G
- Publication Date: 1971-12
- Features: Appendices; References;
- Pagination: 307 p.
- Volume: 1-3
- TRT Terms: Ferries; Hydrofoil boats; Marine transit; Performance; Surface effect ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Hydrofoil craft; Hydrofoil performance
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00048109
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Department of Transportation
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM