SHIPPING OPERATIONS INFORMATION SYSTEM. VOLUME 1: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The report describes an assessment of requirements for a Shipping Operations Information system to be developed jointly by the Maritime Administration and selected U. S. flag ocean carriers. To be developed progressively in breadth and depth of capability, the system consists of four major services - Cargo Space Documentation, Intermodal Distribution Coordination, Fleet Resource Management, and Maritime Industry Reporting - each responsive to a particular set of maritime community needs. Within each service 'modular computer programs' are to carry out individual tasks on call while being stored at a central facility in conjunction with the necessary data files accessible on either a common or proprietary basis. A nationwide communcations network allows for local remote terminal access to the system offering common usage to U. S. shipping companies.
- See also Volume 2, COM-73-10766, $9.00-PC and $1.45-Microfiche.
Computer Sciences Corporation6565 Arlington Boulevard
Falls Church, VA USA 22046
- Giroux, E
- Publication Date: 1973-5-1
- Pagination: 75 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Cargo ships; Computers; Conservation; Freight documents; Freight transportation; Information management; Information processing; Information systems; Intermodal transportation; International trade; Management; Management information systems; Scheduling; Shipments; Shipping; Steamships; Telecommunications; Water transportation
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Maritime Administration
- Uncontrolled Terms: Resource management
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo information systems; Cargo transportation; Intermodal shipping; Ma; Management control systems; Shipping operations information systems; Sois shipping operations information systems
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Environment; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00048102
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: MA-2-36238
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM