PERSONAL RAPID TRANSIT (WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO THE MORGANTOWN PROJECT)
The PRT project was inaugurated in Morgantown, West Virginia, on Oct. 24, 1972. The installation is a combination line-haul and circulatory system over exceptionally difficult terrain, providing a testing ground for the design and implementation of this new technology. The system utilizes small vehicles on a separate guideway (on, above, and below ground) to convey individuals from origin to destination without intermediate stops. Vehicles are operated entirely automatically and respond directly to passenger demand without any significant waiting period. They are rubber-tired and electrically powered, and therefore nonpollutant and silent in operation. The system is centrally controlled and supervised.
- Prepared for Meeting 2-4 April 1973.
New York, NY United States 10017
- Cunliffe, J P
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Intelligent transportation systems; Personal rapid transit; Rapid transit
- Geographic Terms: Morgantown (West Virginia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00047905
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: 730439 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 13 1982 12:00AM