RESONANCE TIRE INSPECTION UNIT
The non-destructive testing of tires to determine the presence of structural defects is accomplished by measuring imbalance in the transmission characteristics of a tire from the tread area to a pair of oppositely disposed points on the side walls as a test tire is rotated and contacted on the tread area by a vibrator which is caused to track a resonant frequency of the tire. Variations in resonant frequency as well as variations in transmission characteristics which do not unbalance the symmetry of the tire are also measured and the information collected permits identification of both the presence and nature of hidden defects.
- Government-owned invention available for licensing. Copy of application available NTIS.
Office of the Secretary of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Lavery, A L
- Publication Date: 1973-1-22
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Nondestructive tests; Patent applications; Tires; Vibration tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Gpdot
- Subject Areas: Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00047857
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-325-392 Patent App
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 1973 12:00AM