CONVERTING FREIGHT CARS TO COBRA SHOES BY MEANS OF A 7 1/2 INCH CONVERSION KIT IN A 10 INCH AB BRAKE CYLINDER
A simple method to obtain the benefits of COBRA shoes on existing 50 and 70-ton freight cars equipped with cast metal brake shoes is to use the 7-1/2" brake cylinder conversion kit in the AB-10" brake cylinder. This presentation illustrates the upgraded braking performance and the resulting brake shoe and wheel savings when such cars are converted to COBRA shoes by this means. This conversion is also a simple solution to the problem of meeting the recommended braking ratio level on rebuilt cars affected by the 5% increase in gross rail load limit.
Westinghouse Air Brake CompanyWilmerding, PA United States
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Brake shoes; Brakes; Composite materials; Freight cars
- Old TRIS Terms: Braking systems
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00047822
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Westinghouse Air Brake Company
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 13 1976 12:00AM