AUTOMATIC FARE COLLECTION
A state-of-the-art review is made of automatic fare collection systems, from simple coin operated turnstiles to complex electronic systems using magnetically coded tickets. Also included is a review of fare structures used by mass transit, a discussion of the application of automatic fare collection systems to bus operations, and a description of alternative configurations for buses. The report gives consideration to the concept of a transit credit card.
Mitre CorporationWestgate Research Park
McLean, VA USA 22101
- Wood, P
- Publication Date: 1972-10
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic fare collection; Bus lines; Commuter service; Control devices; Credit; Credit cards; Fares; Feasibility analysis; Fees; Passenger transportation; Payment; Public transit; Rapid transit; Reviews; Systems engineering
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fare structure; Prepayment
- Old TRIS Terms: Collecting methods; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Finance; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00047757
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MTR-6274 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-10005
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 18 1973 12:00AM