PROPOSED SHORE FACILITY FOR TREATMENT AND DISPOSAL OF SHIP GENERATED OILY WASTES
The Maritime Administration proposes to lease to the Virginia Port Authority a surplus U.S. Navy complex, known as Cheatham Annex, located in York County, Virginia, for use as a facility for processing oily wastes from ships' tanks, bilges and ballast operations. The proposed project is expected to provide a beneficial impact by providing a facility where such oily wastes can be collected and treated prior to discharge into the York River. The project will increase barge traffic on the York River, oily odors in the vicinity will be created, solid wastes must be disposed of, and it is possible that oil spills will occur.
Maritime Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1973-6-15
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Ships); Bilges; Harbors; Waste disposal
- Uncontrolled Terms: Oil separators
- Old TRIS Terms: Bilge water treatment; Harbor facilities; Oily ballast disposal
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00047750
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: ELR-73-0949
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 18 1973 12:00AM