EFFECT OF BILGE KEELS AND A BULBOUS BOW ON BILGE VORTICES
Wind-tunnel experiments were performed in order to investigate the influence of bilge-keels and of a bulbous bow on the drag induced by vortices generated at the bilges of an ogive. It was found that as the ratio of the height of the keels to the maximum width of the ogive is increased from 0 to 0.08, the vortical drag increases from 2 to 11 percent of the surface drag. The presence of a bulbous bow does not appear to affect the vortical drag of a model with a fine entrance, such as the one studied; other investigators claim the contrary when the form is that of a blunt oil tanker. ( Author )
University of Iowa, Iowa CityIowa City, IA USA 52242
- Tatinclaux, J C
- Publication Date: 1968-2
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Bilges; Bows; Vortices
- Old TRIS Terms: Bilge keels; Bilge vortices; Bulbous bows; Model testing
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00001882
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Defense Documentation Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: IIHR-107 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NONR161105
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 30 1974 12:00AM