A BIBLIOGRAPHY ON MARINE AND ESTUARINE OIL POLLUTION
Following the Torrey Canyon disaster in March 1967, the Plymouth Laboratory diverted its entire resources to studying the consequences of the oil spill, and the library became actively engaged in surveying the literature and collecting all relevant papers on oil pollution of the sea and its effects on marine life. The library contains one of the world's most comprehensive collections of publications on marine biology, oceanography, fisheries and related topics, and it was discovered that most of the publications were already held in stock, and that many of the remainder were issued by organizations with which the library or the laboratory had links. A special collection of publications was started at this time, and, as a result, more and more scientists and information workers began to turn to the M.B.A. library for oil pollution information. This bibliography contains references to almost 1100 papers on marine and estuarine oil pollution published over the past 100 years. The reference are arranged by subject in 15 main sections, which are further classified into 32 subdivisions. The 15 sections are as follows: 1) Sources of Oil Pollution and Their Control; 2) Properties of Oil; 3) Detection of Oil; 4) Analysis and Identification of Oil; 5) Reports on Particular Spills; 6) Biological Effects of Oil; 7) Methods of Containment; 8) Methods of Treatment; 9) Legal Aspects of Oil Pollution; 10) Organization of Emergency Procedures to Deal With Oil; 11) Research and Development; 12) Bibliographies; and 15) Miscellaneous Papers and General Discussions. Publications of a non-scientific or journalistic nature have been excluded.
- Photocopies of papers listed in this bibliography which are unobtainable through normal inter-library loan can be supplied at a charge of 15found per page by the Marine Biological Association Library.
Marine Biological AssociationPlymouth Laboratory, Citadel Hill
Plymouth, Devon, England
- Moulder, D S
- Varley, A
- Publication Date: 1971-9
- Pagination: 129 p.
- TRT Terms: Bibliographies; Containing equipment; Detectors; Environmental impacts; Oil spill cleanup; Oil spills; Water pollution; Water quality management
- Old TRIS Terms: Biological effects (Oil); Oil containment systems; Oil spill detection; Oil spill sources
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00047665
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Department of Transportation
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 1973 12:00AM