TECHNICAL AND ECONOMIC RESULTS OF THE USE OF AIR CUSHION IN GROUND TRANSPORTATION
A tentative summary has been made of the possible impact of the use of air cushion in the field of passenger ground transportation aboard a guided vehicle, derived from more than fifteen years of research and development including over 1000 hours of full-scale tests. Basic technical features of air cushion and especially of plenum chambers are recalled with their consequences on guideway and vehicle design, guideway-vehicle interaction and passenger comfort. After giving proper consideration to the speed range in which convenient modes of propulsion can be associated with air cushion suspension to develop a technically feasible system, economical data are proposed. They show clearly the the wide areas where air cushion vehicles of described technology can be used.
- Prepared for Meeting 8-12 January 1973.
New York, NY USA 10017
- Garnault, A
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Intelligent transportation systems; Tracked air cushion vehicles
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00047390
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: 730161 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 13 1976 12:00AM