VEHICLE HANDLING PERFORMANCE. VOLUME 1
The test methodology which was originally developed in the Vehicle Handling Test Procedures study was extensively refined in this program. Redesigned test apparatus was utilized in the conduct of refined test procedures on a sample of 12 contemporary passenger vehicles. The resulting data were reduced through a fully computerized data processing system. A permenent digital tape library was generated and will be preserved for public use. Significant findings were made with respect to certain tire properties which impose a serious confounding influence on limit turning measurement. The test vehicle sample was seen to exhibit a large range of emergency maneuvering capability. It was seen that certain vehicles exhibit properties which appear desirable over a great variety of maneuvers--while certain other vehicles exhibit consistently poorer performance, in terms of the safety-related hypotheses.
- Paper copy also available from NTIS $16.00/set of 3 reports as PB-221 147-SET.
University of Michigan, Ann ArborHighway Safety Research Institute
Ann Arbor, MI USA
- Ervin, R D
- GROTE, P
- Fancher, P S
- MacAdam, C C
- SEGEL, L
- Publication Date: 1972-11
- Pagination: 250 p.
- TRT Terms: Braking; Driving; Equipment tests; Handling characteristics; Information processing; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Passenger vehicles; Performance evaluations; Safety engineering; Steering; Tires
- Uncontrolled Terms: Emergency maneuvers
- Old TRIS Terms: Nhsb; Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00047336
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-031-1-159
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1973 12:00AM