BASIC RESEARCH IN CRASHWORTHINESS II. LOW SPEED IMPACT TESTS OF MODIFIED VEHICLES
A series of twelve low speed frontal impact tests were performed with ten structurally modified automobiles, that consisted of seven impacts into a flat barrier and five impacts into a fixed pole obstacle. The vehicle sizes ranged from subcompacts to large luxury-type vehicles. Impact velocities were within a range of 5 MPH to 11 MPH. The purpose of these tests was to determine if there were any significant differences in occupant responses between the modified vehicles and conventional cars. Unrestrained instrumented anthropometric dummies were on-board each test vehicle in the right front passenger seat. In two particular tests, and additional dummy was placed in the driver's seat position. Passenger compartment accelerations are presented along with accelerations recorded in the head, chest and pelvic areas of the dummies. The primary conclusion of the investigation is that there are essentially no differences in occupant accelerations between passengers of the modified and the conventional vehicles. Dummy response data were also compared briefly with human tolerance criteria which showed all of the occupant data to be below the presently established limits for serious injury.
- See also report dated May 72, PB-211 941.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY USA 14225
- Naab, K N
- Publication Date: 1973-5
- Pagination: 89 p.
- TRT Terms: Anthropometry; Automobiles; Barriers (Roads); Bumpers; Chassis; Crashworthiness; Head on collisions; Human factors engineering; Impact tests; Injuries; Safety engineering; Set forward force; Shock (Mechanics); Shock resistance; Tolerance (Physiology)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Impact strength
- Old TRIS Terms: Impact acceleration; Impact shock; Nhsb; Tolerances physiology
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00047326
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CAL-YB-2987-V-17 Intrm Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7622
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1973 12:00AM