M.I.T. TEST SECTION INSTRUMENTATION. MASSACHUSETTS BAY TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY, HAYMARKET-NORTH EXTENSION. FINAL PROJECT REPORT
Three objectives of the research were to: (1) develop a method for analyzing braced excavations based on the principles of soil mechanics and the finite element technique, (2) provide insight into the undrained behavior of braced excavations in clay, and (3) predict the performance of two instrumented sections of a braced excavation. The demonstration was undertaken in a section of cut-and-cover subway constructed by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. The research was intended to illuminate design and engineering considerations with reference to load factors applied to brace sheeting, the transfer of loads to the bracing system, ground movements and changes in water hydrology due to construction, and other questions. The finite element technique was used to develop a unique computer program for predicting movements in the soil mass and the retaining wall, stresses on the wall, and loads in the struts. Appended material includes a user's guide for future applications of the BRACE program.
- Paper copy also available from NTIS $8.00/set of 2 reports as PB-220 876-SET.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
- Publication Date: 1972-3
- Pagination: 359 p.
- TRT Terms: Braces; Bracing; Clay soils; Computer programs; Construction; Excavations; Finite element method; Loads; Mathematical prediction; Motion; Rapid transit; Retaining walls; Soil mechanics; Stability (Mechanics); Stresses; Subways; Tunneling; Tunnels
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Geographic Terms: Massachusetts
- Old TRIS Terms: Brace computer program; Subway railways
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Data and Information Technology; Geotechnology; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00047277
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: R72-33
- Contract Numbers: DOT-H-753
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1973 12:00AM