AUTOMATED GUIDEWAY TRANSPORTATION BETWEEN AND WITHIN CITIES. VOLUME II
The first section deals in some detail with one aspect of the human factors of one of the potential uses of automated guideways: the carrying of personal automobiles. An important question to be answered before guideways can be used for this purpose is: to what extent should the human operator be involved in the driving task, particularly on entering and on leaving the system. It discusses experiments designed to investigate the transition from automatic to manual control and to determine whether there are 'underloads' as well as 'overloads' in information-transmission rate to form boundaries to good human-operator performance. The second section looks at the normal and emergency automatic-control problems of vehicles on guideways and, in particular, at the type of control system which responds to discrete reference points, or 'posts', along the guideway. The third section is addressed to operating strategies.
- See also Volume 1, PB-206 269.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyUrban Systems Laboratory, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
- GODFREY, M B
- Tomizuka, M
- Verplank, W
- Whitney, D E
- Wilson, D G
- Publication Date: 1973-1
- Pagination: 110 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated vehicle control; Automatic control; Benefit cost analysis; Dual mode transportation systems; Freight transportation; Guideways; Highway traffic control; Intelligent transportation systems; Intercity transportation; Passenger transportation; Public transit; Reliability; Safety engineering; Structural design; Systems analysis; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Federal Railroad Administration
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Cargo transportation; Fra; Guideway transportation
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00047262
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-C-85-65
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1974 12:00AM