THE LOW COST ROAD PROBLEM

OF THE THREE MILLION MILES OF RURAL HIGHWAYS IN THE UNITED STATES, ONLY 18% ARE PAVED. THE PROBLEM IS HOW TO IMPROVE THE OTHER 82% AT A MANAGEABLE COST. FUNDS ARE NOT NOW AVAILABLE, AND WILL NEVER BE AVAILABLE IN THE FUTURE, TO LAY SO-CALLED PERMANENT PAVEMENTS ON THE GREATER PART OF THE NATION'S RURAL MILEAGE. THE ONLY SOLUTION IS A LOW COST ROAD THAT WILL BE PASSABLE AND SMOOTH THE YEAR ROUND. APPLICATION OF THE LOW COST ROAD CONCEPT IN OHIO SINCE 1923 IS DESCRIBED.

  • Supplemental Notes:
    • Vol 7, Part 2, PP 256-261
  • Authors:
    • Kirk, H J
  • Publication Date: 1928

Media Info

  • Monograph Title: Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Meeting of the Highway Research Board Held at Washington, D.C. December 1-2, 1927. Part II: Report of Investigation of Low Cost Improved Roads
  • Serial:

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00201896
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Report/Paper Numbers: Part 2
  • Files: TRIS, TRB
  • Created Date: Aug 8 1971 12:00AM