SOME CONSIDERATIONS IN APPRAISING BUS TRANSIT POTENTIALS

PUBLIC TRANSIT POTENTIALS IN URBAN AREAS OF 250,000 TO 1 MILLION POPULATION WERE ESTIMATED BY ESTABLISHING A CEILING ON RESIDENTS TRIP-MAKING POTENTIALS. THE 5% OF RESIDENTS IN CAR SATURATED HOUSEHOLDS /I.E. THOSE WHO POSSESS CARS AND HAVE NO DEPENDENTS WHO ARE WITHOUT CARS/ ARE ASSUMED TO MAKE MORE TRIPS THAN THE REMAINING 95%. THE LATTER ARE INHIBITED OR CONSTRAINED BY LACK OF A PERSONAL CAR OR BY THE NEED TO SERVE THOSE LACKING CARS. IF EVERYONE COULD MAKE TRIPS AT THE RATE OF THOSE FROM CAR-SATURATED HOUSEHOLDS., URBAN TRIPS GENERATED BY RESIDENTS WOULD INCREASE ONLY ABOUT 45%. TRIP GENERATION RATES FOR CAR-SATURATED HOUSEHOLDS VARY WITH HOUSEHOLD INCOME. IF EVERY URBAN RESIDENT MADE TRIPS AT THE RATE OF THE CAR-SATURATED POPULATION IN THE HIGHEST INCOME BRACKETS, THERE WOULD BE AN AREAWIDE TRAVEL INCREASE OF ABOUT 60%. FINDINGS SHOWED THAT URBAN RESIDENTS ARE ABLE TO ACHIEVE A LARGE PROPORTION OF THEIR MAXIMUM TRAVEL DESIRE UNDER EXISTING CONDITIONS. ABOUT HALF THE URBAN POPULATION OVER 5 YEARS OF AGE IS NOT ELIGIBLE TO DRIVE. ABOUT ONE- FIFTH TO ONE-THIRD ARE ELIGIBLE TO DRIVE BUT MUST SHARE A CAR WITH ANOTHER DRIVER. MOST OF THE REMAINDER HAVE EXCLUSIVE USE OF A CAR BUT HAVE NON-DRIVING DEPENDENTS WHO LIMIT THEIR FREEDOM. LARGE POTENTIALS AMONG NON-DRIVERS AND CHAUFFERED PASSENGERS FOR PATRONAGE OF A SUITABLE FORM OF PUBLIC TRANSIT WERE NOTED.

Media Info

  • Media Type: Print
  • Features: Appendices; Figures;
  • Pagination: pp 1-24
  • Monograph Title: Passenger transportation
  • Serial:

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00201307
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Files: TRIS, TRB
  • Created Date: Jan 23 1994 12:00AM