HIGH ENERGY TUBULAR BATTERY FOR AN 1800 KG PAYLOAD ELECTRIC DELIVERY VAN
A high energy lead-acid battery was developed to provide, at no extra cost, a 1800 kg (4000 lb) payload electric delivery van with a driving range of 80-90 km (50-55 miles). In addition to the new high performance electrodes, an integrated approach to the total power source concept evolved new lightweight designs for battery packaging and a system engineered battery charger and an automatic topping-up facility. Despite the 40% improvement in range compared with 55-65 km (35-40 miles) for conventional traction batteries, a 4 year battery life is expected due to the reinforcing features of the tubular design adopted for the positive electrode.
- From the Meeting held 26 February-2 March 1979.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Whitehead, M L
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 10 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Battery chargers; Delivery vehicles; Design; Electric batteries; Electric vehicles; Electrodes; Light trucks; Performance; Storage batteries; Vans
- Old TRIS Terms: Electric delivern van; High energy tubular battery; Storage battery vehicles
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00197218
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 790162 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM