INTERNAL INSULATION SYSTEM "METASTANO-20" FOR THE STORAGE AND TRANSPORTATION OF LIQUEFIED GASES
The new internal insulation system for LNG storage and transportation is formed by prefabricated GRP modules subdivided in tight cells filled-in with PUF. The METASTANO-20 system is considered a combination of the warped membrane and wet-wall systems, combining their advantages and avoiding their disadvantages. Instead of a warped barrier the system incorporates three shaped barriers. The joint surface between the two barriers or between the module's partitions is shaped to afford a higher level of safety. The joint is formed by adhesion at ambient temperature. The new system is a low-cost design as regards ship construction procedures. Low materials costs and reduced manpower requirements guarantee savings in assembly time and cost. Large tanks and reduced weight and thickness of insulation through low density and conductivity coefficients represent a significant breakthrough. The multiplicity of insulation compartments, the better use of the thermo-diffusibility phenomenon and the implementation of two leak-detection channels are other major improvements. Specifically designed for LNG sea transportation, the system fulfils the basic requirements of any containment system but also offers the additional advantages of reduced building costs, increased cargo capacities, and shortened load and discharge times. Cold insulation repairs can be carried out on the ballast voyage with no need for strict gasfreeing procedures. The METASTANO-20 system has been proved safe theoretically and by testing, and it can be applied either for shore tanks or to ships with a high level of confidence.
- Proceedings of Gastech 78, the 6th International LNG/LPG Conference held in Monte Carlo, November 7-10, 1978.
Gastech Exhibitions Limited,
- Dominguez, M
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: p. 169-176
- TRT Terms: Containing equipment; Design; Freight transportation; Fuel storage; Glass fiber reinforced plastics; Insulation systems; Liquefied natural gas; Safety; Tanks (Containers)
- Old TRIS Terms: Lng containment systems; Lng insulation; Lng safety; Lng storage; Lng tank design; Lng tank insulation; Lng transportation; Membrane tank systems
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00197169
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 28 1979 12:00AM