USE OF TAXICABS FOR TRANSPORTATING THE HANDICAPPED: DADE COUNTY EXPERIENCE

This paper describes the special transportation service program designed to provide transportation services to hadicapped residents of Dade County, Florida. Private for-hire operators of taxis and lift-equipped vans transport approved handicapped users, who are too disabled to use regular public transit, anywhere in the county for $1.00 for a one-way trip. This report reviews the program's initial concepts, stated goals, and objectives and describes how the program has worked. User application forms, user trip vouchers, vehicle travel records, and a telephone survey of a random sample of program users provided data to assess user characteristics and trip-making patterns during the first 10 months of operation. After 10 months, the program had over 3400 approved users, 45 percent of whom were 65 years old or over. Out of 56 552 trips, 17 percent of the trips were made by wheelchair-bound users, 74 percent by transfer albe users, and 9 percent by companions. Disabled persons used a cab in 80 percent of the cases, and lift-equipped vans accounted for the remaining 20 percent of the vehicle trips. The average cost per person per trip was comparable with those reported in Atlanta and Denver for special handicapped services ($9.56/person in Dade County). The special transportation service program has proven to be successful in Miami and has the potential of being successfully implemented in other areas. The trip-making characteristics and operating data found for the 10-month monitoring period could prove useful to other communities planning transportation for handicapped residents. /Author/

Media Info

  • Media Type: Print
  • Features: Figures; Tables;
  • Pagination: pp 17-21
  • Monograph Title: Transportation for elderly, handicapped, and economically disadvantaged persons
  • Serial:

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00197117
  • Record Type: Publication
  • ISBN: 0309028337
  • Files: TRIS, TRB
  • Created Date: Sep 15 1981 12:00AM