DESIGN OF A CRASHWORTHY LOCOMOTIVE CAB
A crashworthy locomotive cab has been designed with a structure capable of deflecting an overriding vehicle upward and over the cab, resisting secondary impact and providing a survivable volume for the crew. The design treats the deflection shield and the underframe requirements. In addition a structural framework for the cab is designed using USAAMRDL KRASH computer program. The response of the structure in crash conditions has been obtained. Examples of the deformation and representative strain energy distribution are shown. Results of the investigation are discussed.
- Collected Technical Papers AIAA ASME Struct Struct Dyn Materials Conference 19th, Bethesda, Maryland, April 3-5, 1978.
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY United States 10019
- Widmayer, E
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: p. 84-91
- TRT Terms: Cabs (Vehicle compartments); Computer programs; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Design; Locomotives; Safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive cab design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00196377
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM