COMPUTER ANALYSIS OF A RAILROAD FREIGHT CAR BOLSTER UTILIZING THE FINITE ELEMENT METHOD
The authors present (a) a finite element structural analysis of a complex steel casting and (b) the verification of this analysis by a laboratory stress investigation. They give a brief review of the finite element method and describe the computer program used as well as the mathematical model of the casting analyzed. It is indicated that effective utilization of the computer program is dependent on sound engineering judgment rather than on extensive knowledge of the finite element method.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Moehling, C
- Mate, D F
- Publication Date: 1970-11-20
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Bolsters; Computer programs; Finite element method; Mathematical models; Structural analysis
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00046378
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 18 1973 12:00AM