Salmon River Fish Habitat Compensation Plan
Highway 401 is the main highway transportation corridor spanning the entire length of southern Ontario. The Highway 401- Salmon River Bridge is located in south eastern Ontario between Belleville and Napanee. Constructed in 1956, this five span, 126 metre long, by 31 metre wide structure required extensive rehabilitation of both superstructure and substructure elements. Widening of the structure was required to accommodate construction staging and to facilitate future highway expansion requirements. The project basically involved widening of the deck by 2.9 m on each side, installation of new steel girders, widening of the piers, abutments and approach grades and the installation of a bridge antiicing system. The Salmon River, in the vicinity of the highway crossing, is a relatively shallow, slow moving, "warm water" watercourse. Of particular interest to this project was the riverine habitat supporting a warm water fishery. Site specific habitat assessment studies, including electrofishing sampling, indicated some thirteen species of fish were utilizing the available habitat. Northern Pike (Esox lucius) spawning habitat was noted downstream of the bridge. For the purposes of this paper, we have focused on the impacts, mitigation and compensation of the fisheries and aquatic habitat. This project was nominated for the TAC 2008 Environmental Achievement Award.
Transportation Association of Canada (TAC)Ottawa, Ontario Canada
- WESTENDORP, S
- Publication Date: 2009
- Pagination: 11 p.
- Monograph Title: 2009 Annual Conference and Exhibition of the Transportation Association of Canada - Transportation in a Climate of Change
- TRT Terms: Bridges; Conferences; Ecology; Ecosystems; Environmental engineering; Environmental protection; Inland waterways; Maintenance
- Geographic Terms: Canada
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 01149393
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Association of Canada (TAC)
- Files: TAC
- Created Date: Jan 28 2010 7:29AM