Design of Campbell Road Overpass in Kelowna
Campbell Road interchange is located on Highway 97 at Campbell Road, which is at the western end of the William R. Bennett (WRB) Bridge in Kelowna. The new interchange will improve traffic flow and safety for the residents in the area and provide better access on and off the new WRB Bridge. Westbank First Nation managed the project from the pre-design phase until completion. This is the first time a First Nations in British Columbia has undertaken the delivery of a large design-build project on a major highway. The project includes a 5-lane overpass for Highway 97 traffic and a dumbbell-roundabout layout for the local traffic. Design and construction of the overpass allowed the project to be completed in phases while nearly eliminating construction impacts to the 50,000 vehicles per day traveling through this site. The new overpass structure includes a 22 m span of precast concrete box girders and the associated MSE walls. The roadway geometry placed the bridge in a spiral curve and this made the bridge geometry complicated. This paper presents the design of the overpass structure and the staged construction of the interchange. The overpass structure was completed in October 2007 and the traffic was shifted to the bridge the following month. The interchange was officially opened to traffic in May 2008. The project was completed on time and within budget.
Transportation Association of Canada (TAC)Ottawa, Ontario Canada
- Gao, Y
- Chan, S
- Publication Date: 2009
- Pagination: 15 p.
- Monograph Title: 2009 Annual Conference and Exhibition of the Transportation Association of Canada - Transportation in a Climate of Change
- TRT Terms: Administration; Beams; Bridges; Conferences; Construction sites; Design; Layout; Precast concrete; Roundabouts; Traffic control
- Geographic Terms: Canada
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; I10: Economics and Administration; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 01149382
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Association of Canada (TAC)
- Files: TAC
- Created Date: Jan 28 2010 7:24AM