TEST AND EVALUATION OF THE AMF INC. AND FAIRCHILD INDUSTRIES EXPERIMENTAL SAFETY VEHICLES. VOLUME 1. ESV PROGRAM SUMMARY
The purpose of the program was to conduct quantitative, nondestructive, and crash tests on two prototype experimental safety vehicles (ESVs) from each of two competing development contractors, AMF Inc. and Fairchild Industries. The results of these tests were analyzed by the Government and used as the basis for determining the best overall vehicle safety design. A comprehensive safety performance ESV specification consisting of existing and proposed FMVSSs (Federal Manufacturer's Vehicle Safety Standards) were applicable to the ESVs designed for the program and were the basis for many of the evaluations. Crash injury reduction evaluations were based exclusively on the ESV specification. Dynamic Science prepared the test procedures and developed, refined, and verified the necessary methodology to perform the evaluations on the ESVs. These procedures and methodologies were refined during a Phase I baseline evaluation program. The prototype evaluation was performed during Phase II. The program results are presented in four volumes: Volume I- ESV Program Summary, Volume II - Task I, Evaluation of Design Requirements, Volume III - Task II, Accident Avoidance Evaluation, Volume IV - Task III, Crash Injury Reduction, and Task IV, Post-Crash Factors Evaluation. (Author)
- Paper copy also available from NTIS $27.50/set of 4 reports as PB-219 060-SET.
- Publication Date: 1972-9
- Pagination: 43 p.
- TRT Terms: Braking; Bumpers; Crash tests; Crashworthiness; Design; Experimental vehicles; Human factors engineering; Instrument panels; Internal combustion engines; Nondestructive tests; Overturning; Passenger vehicles; Performance tests; Rollover crashes; Safety engineering; Safety equipment; Safety vehicles; Specifications; Steering; Vehicle compartments; Vehicle interiors; Visibility
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Nhsb; Overturn; Roll over
- Subject Areas: Design; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00046266
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 2310-72-23-Vol-1 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-10187
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1973 12:00AM