ARCTIC VESSEL AND MARINE RESEARCH INSTITUTE
The Arctic Vessel and Marine Research Institute (AVMRI), recently established by the National Research Council (NRC), is being developed at St. John's, Newfoundland. Initially the Institute will comprise new facilities being constructed on the campus of Memorial University, Newfoundland, in combination with the existing Marine and Ship Dynamics Laboratory (MDSL) located in Ottawa. Eventually, the entire Institute will be situated in St. John's and jointly with the facilities of Memorial Unviersity, will constitute a "centre of excellence" for the research and development of Arctic, Marine, and Ice technology. When completed the AVMRI will be quivalent, or superior to, all other world centres of its type. The design of the facilities represents a direct development of the existing MDSL, which over the last thirty years has established an international reputation in the field of model tank testing. In addition to the capability of model testing in saline ice to a thickness of 15 cm, the tank dimensions will also be such as to permit the use of models up to 16 metres in length, thus overcoming many of the scale-limiting factors of existing tanks. The AVMRI facilities are universally available to both government and non-government agencies, on a cost recovery basis. In the past MDSL has been widely used by various government marine design agencies, universities and industry and the new, improved facilities will considerably expand the scope of existing test capabilities.
- For additional information contact Mr. B.F. Allen at Eyretechnics Limited.
Eyretechnics Limited404 Rideau Street
Ottawa, ONo K1N 5W8, Canada
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamics; Force; Ice; Ice formations; Ice phenomena; Icebreakers; Research management; Simulation; Tanks (Containers); Towing devices; Vehicle design
- Geographic Terms: Arctic Regions
- Old TRIS Terms: Arctic research planning; Ice dynamics; Ice forces on structures; Ice models; Icefield simulation; Towing tanks; Wave generators
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Research;
- Accession Number: 00196554
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Eyretechnics Limited
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM