IMPACT BEHAVIOR OF THIN-WALL STEEL TUBE SIGNPOSTS AND DELINEATOR POST
Seven full-scale crash tests were conducted to evaluate the impact behavior of thin-wall steel tube signposts and delineator posts. Tests were conducted in accordance with current guidelines, and the results were evaluated in terms of AASHTO safety performance specifications for sign supports. All tests involved single-post installations. In terms of AASHTO specifications, the following was found: a 3.50 in. (8.89 cm) O.D. by 0.083 in. (0.17 CM) and a 2.875 in. (7.30 cm) O.D. by 0.120 in. (0.30 cm) signpost in a concrete footing do not satisfy specifications; a 2.875 in. (7.30 cm) O.D. by 0.120 in. (0.30 cm) signpost with sleeve and base in concrete is marginally acceptable; a 2.875 in. (7.30 cm) O.D. by 0.965 in. (0.17 cm) and a 2.375 in. (6.03 cm) O.D. by 0.109 in. (0.28 cm) signpost in a concrete footing satisfy specifications; a 1.66 in. (4.22 cm) O.D. by 0.074 in. (0.12 cm) delineator post and a 1.90 in. (4.83 cm) O.D. by 0.965 in. (0.17 cm) mile marker post satisfy specifications.
- Research performed in cooperation with DOT, FHWA. Study Title: Crash Testing Sign and Delineator Posts. Sponsored by the Texas State Department of Highways and Public Transportation.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
- Ross Jr, H E
- Walker, K C
- Publication Date: 1978-11
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Concrete; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Guidelines; Impact tests; Safety; Signs; Testing
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00196411
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWATx78-26U1F Final Rpt., FCP 41V3-152
- Contract Numbers: 2-5-78-264
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 28 1979 12:00AM