FABRICATION, INSTALLATION, TEST AND EVALUATION OF MOTORCYCLE CONTROLS AND DISPLAYS; GEAR POSITION INDICATOR, NON-LINEAR THROTTLE, TACTILE INDICATOR OF NEUTRAL POSITION
A study was directed toward developing a greater margin of safety for motorcycles on the modern highway, reflecting adequate consideration of the physical and perceptual capabilities and limitations of the operator in order to achieve the optimum in system safety and performance. The study was concerned with two of the more critical motorcycle control/display areas: the throttle control and the gear position indicator. Undesirable features of present designs were identified and innovative designs were developed which modified the undesirable aspects of present designs. These devices were fabricated, installed, and tested on a GFE Honda test motorcycle.
Essex CorporationHuntsville, AL United States
- Livingston, B
- Publication Date: 1972-5
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Control; Control devices; Design; Gears; Gearshifts; Highways; Human factors engineering; Information display systems; Motorcycles; Problem solving; Steering gears; Tests; Throttles; Traffic safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Display devices; Gear position indicators; Nhsb; Throttle controls
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00046227
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-120-2-317
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1973 12:00AM