DEVELOPMENT OF AN INTEGRATED VHF COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM FOR THE GREAT LAKES
This report describes planning for development of a Great Lakes Lakeswide VHF (land telephone interconnected) integrated communications system. A prototype system, giving partial coverage will be implemented in 1973. Unmanned VHF stations will be tied together by a leased land-line network remotely controlled from a Central Operations Center that will be automated and manned to serve the needs of all vessels effectively and economically. The system will provide basic services such as vessel position reports and weather information exchange using the leased network and have provision for dial interconnection with the public telephone network. Dial interconnection with the public telephone land-line network will be made directly by vessels properly equipped or by the Central Operations Center for other vessels by connecting a radio circuit directly to the appropriate telephone exchange in the locality of the radio station.
Advanced Technology Systems, Incorporated2425 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA USA 22201
- Publication Date: 1973-1-31
- Pagination: 94 p.
- TRT Terms: Communication systems; Radio; Radio telephone; Telecommunications
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00046153
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: ADVATECHSYS-7301 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: 3-36214
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 31 1973 12:00AM