SAFETY SYSTEMS OPTIMIZATION MODEL (SSOM). VOLUME I: INTRODUCTION AND EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
A generalized methodology has been developed for mathematically optimizing simulated vehicle crash performance for a wide range of realistic accident encounters. The methodology utilizes approximating functions, derived from multi-degree-of-freedom dynamic simulations, to calculate vehicle and occupant dynamic responses in a large number of simulated collisions. Biomechanical relationships are used to convert the occupant responses into estimates of injury, which are weighted and summed for all the simulated accidents to produce an overall measure of crash performance. An optimization algorithm systematically varies selected simulated vehicle design variables in a search for the set which minimizes the weighted sum of injuries within practical limits set by the analyst. As an example of the application of the methodology, a computer program was developed to optimize the crash performance of a simulated 3000 pound vehicle operating in the mid-1980s traffic environment. Two example optimization runs, for belt and airbag restraints, were made and the results are discussed.
LAutomotive Safety Office
Monroeville, PA United States 15146
Washington, DC United States 20590
- HENSON, S E
- Publication Date: 1978-11
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Air bags; Algorithms; Computer programming; Computer programs; Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Degrees of freedom; Design; Dynamic loads; Injuries; Manual safety belts; Mathematical models; Methodology; Optimization; Performance; Research; Safety equipment; Simulation; Systems analysis; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Motor vehicle accidents
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00199140
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-804-771 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01446
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 19 1980 12:00AM