COMPARISON OF ORGANIZATIONAL AND OPERATIONAL ASPECTS OF FOUR VANPOOL DEMONSTRATION PROJECTS
The study describes the organizational and operational aspects of four Service and Methods Demonstration projects involving vanpooling. The projects are located in San Francisco, California; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Knoxville, Tennessee; and Norfolk, Virginia. All of the projects involve third party providers and multiple employment locations. The report compares the projects with respect to management and administration; target group focus; marketing procedures; driver and rider application and selection procedures; van acquisition and provision arrangements; and financial aspects such as cost structures, driver lease fees, passenger fares, and project funding. By highlighting the similarities and differences among project designs, the authors state that the information herein is relevant not only to the ongoing evaluations of these projects, but also to organizers of similar vanpooling projects in other locales. Appendix A of the report contains a table summarizing the project characteristics; and Appendixes B and C contain driver, passenger, and other types of agreements used in the four demonstration projects.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Heaton, C
- Jacobson, J
- Poage, J
- Publication Date: 1979-4
- Pagination: 114 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Costs; Demonstration projects; Fares; Financing; Level of service; Management; Marketing; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Urban areas; Urban transportation; Vanpools; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Agreements; Services
- Geographic Terms: California; Minnesota; Tennessee; Virginia
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00199130
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0049-79-6Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 19 1980 12:00AM