VEHICLE LONGITUDINAL CONTROL AND RELIABILITY PROJECT. LONGITUDINAL AND LATERAL CONTROL COST AND WEIGHT MODEL
UMTA's Automated Guideway Transit Technology (AGTT) Program is oriented toward the analyses of systems and the development of system elements which may be used in a variety of advanced urban transportation systems. The Vehicle Longitudinal Control and Reliability (VLCR) Project is the part of the AGTT program that focuses on the performance of longitudinal control systems. The project includes a review of the status of existing technology, specification of design goals and requirements, detailed mathematical modeling, analysis and simulation, development and specification of design concepts and their mechanizations, and experimental validation of the designs. This document describes an automated cost and weight model for Vehicle Longitudinal and Lateral Control (VLC) Systems. The model is a life-cycle cost and weight model which focuses on system components which vary with lateral control option. This model is to be used to evaluate the cost and weight of VLC designs for four classes of AGT (GRT) large and small, and Personal Rapid Transit (PRT). The report is organized in three technical sections: (1) Methodology and model description (includes design goals, model structure, basic equations, and a detailed description of the model; (2) Model use (includes input requirements, output and factor selection; and (3) Model growth potential. Conclusions are provided in the last section with the model code reproduced in the Appendix. The authors state that a usable life-cycle cost and weight model is available for immediate application to AGT nominal designs and control alternatives.
- See also report dated Feb 79, PB-297129, and PB-299525.
Otis Elevator CompanyTransportation Technology Division, 11380 Smith Road
Denver, CO United States 80010
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Womack, W C
- Graver, C A
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Pagination: 150 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Automated guideway transit; Automatic control; Computer programs; Costs; Intelligent transportation systems; Maintenance management; Mathematical models; Passenger vehicles; Rapid transit; Reliability; Vehicle spacing; Weight
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Automated guideway systems; Automatic control systems; Longitudinal stability; Rapid transit railways; Weight control
- Subject Areas: Finance; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00199119
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OTIS/TTD/VLCR-063 Final Rpt., UMTA-IT-06-0148-79-11
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-70048
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 19 1982 12:00AM