PARKING POLICY AS A TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM MANAGEMENT MEASURE
The main purposes of the study are: (1) to show that parking policy represents a potentially effective tool for regulation of urban transportation under the Transportation System Management (TSM) program; (2) to define the relationship between the parking policy with other complementary or alternative TSM measures; (3) to present and evaluate various aspects of a parking policy and illustrating these by various applications in different cities; and (4) to recommend the potential parking policies which cities can apply as a part of their TSM measures. The study presents different types of parking restraints in the forms of regulatory measures, limits on parking supply, and pricing. Applicability and effectiveness of each measure is discussed. Groups affected, whether positively or negatively, by various parking measures are defined. Experiment undertaken in several cities with different types of parking regulations and pricing are described. The report recommends that parking be included in analyses and planning of urban transportation systems and used as a very effective tool of traffic regulation, modal split change, and improvements of both urban travel conditions and urban environment in general.
University of Pennsylvania, PhiladelphiaDepartment of Civil and Urban Engineering
Philadelphia, PA USA 19104
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Vuchic, V R
- Hessami, M S
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 75 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Local government; Management; Measures of effectiveness; Modal split; Parking; Parking facilities; Policy; Prices; Regulations; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Transportation system management; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Systems management; Transportation management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00199117
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-PA-11-0016-79-1Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 19 1980 12:00AM