ANALYSIS OF DATA FROM THE FIRST WHEEL EXPERIMENT AT THE FACILITY FOR ACCELERATED SERVICE TESTING (FAST)
The Facility for Accelerated Service Testing (FAST), located at the Transportation Test Center near Pueblo, Colorado, is a joint government/industry program for accelerated life cycle testing of railroad track and mechanical components. The facility consists of a 4.8-mile loop around which a freight train of approximately 9,500 tons travels for 15 hours per day, 5 days per week. Measurements are taken periodically on various track and train components for the purpose of studying design performance and wear characteristics. As part of this overall program, a wheel experiment was designed to compare the performance of various types of wheels now in service on U.S. railroads. This report discusses an analysis of wheel wear data from the first wheel experiment, which ran from September 1976 to August 1977. Six wheel variables (heat-treated versus non-heat-treated, cast versus wrought, 1-wear versus 2-wear, AAR profile versus CN profile, 14-inch center plate versus 16-inch center plate, and type 1 truck versus type 2 truck) were studied. The analysis includes graphical analysis and the development of a regression model for studying variable interactions.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Errata sheet inserted.
Unified Industries, Incorporated5400 Cherokee Avenue
Alexandria, VA United States 23312
Pueblo, CO United States 81001
- Larsen, K W
- Publication Date: 1979-7
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerated tests; Construction scheduling; Dimensional analysis; Durability; Durability tests; Flanges; Freight cars; Metal heating; Railroad trains; Regression analysis; Steel; Thickness; Trucks; Vehicle design; Wear; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Transportation Technology Center
- Uncontrolled Terms: Heat treatment; Wheel profiles
- Old TRIS Terms: Cast steel wheels; Dimensional measurement; Fast track; Wrought steel wheels
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00199112
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/TTC-79/01 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-8046
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 19 1980 12:00AM