MOBILE ORBIS III SPEED ENFORCEMENT DEMONSTRATION PROJECT IN ARLINGTON, TEXAS: PROGRAM EVALUATION
The report represents an evaluation of the Mobile ORBIS III Speed Enforcement Demonstration Project in Arlington, Texas. An ORBIS III unit(which detects and photographs speeders, recording speed, time, date, driver, and license plate) was installed in a van, and its performance was evaluated at four selected sites over a 3-month period. The sites were selected to provide data on the impact of the mobile ORBIS III unit in various roadway environments (rural, residential, urban, and urban thoroughfare) with various posted speed limits. Each site was evaluated at 25- and 50-percent levels of enforcement. The greatest impact in reductions of percent speeders was realized on the urban roadways at high levels of enforcement, with a general reduction in speeders realized throughout the 0.5-mile long test segments. Significant, but less dramatic reductions were also observed at the rural and residential sites and lower enforcement levels appeared to be more effective at these sites. Speed distribution profile data showed a small decrease in mean speeds at three of the four sites, with the impact of the mobile unit lasting for some time after the van was removed from operation.
- Sponsored in part by Texas Dept. of Traffic and Transportation, Arlington.
Southwest Research Institute6220 Culebra Road, P.O. Drawer 28510
San Antonio, TX USA 78228-0510
Texas Department of Traffic and TransportationArlington, TX USA 76010
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Dreyer, C B
- Hawkins, T E
- Publication Date: 1979-7
- Pagination: 51 p.
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Cost effectiveness; Data collection; Demonstration projects; Detectors; Drivers; Evaluation; Installation; Law enforcement; Performance; Photographic equipment; Photographs; Portable equipment; Roads; Rural areas; Speed control; Speed limits; Urban areas; Vans
- Uncontrolled Terms: Mobile equipment; Profiles; Violations
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Old TRIS Terms: Detecting devices
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00199109
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-804-835 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-346-3-692
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 19 1980 12:00AM