PROPOSED RAILROAD RELOCATION, CONSOLIDATION, AND GRADE-CROSSING ELIMINATION PROJECT FOR COLUMBIA, SOUTH CAROLINA
The report describes a two-phase plan to relocate and consolidate portions of the Southern and Seaboard Coast Line railroads through the city of Columbia, South Carolina. It is a development of the most feasible of several alternative plans that were considered in earlier studies. Detailed preliminary engineering plans, cost estimates and socio-economic impacts are presented for Phase I which represents approximately 80% of the estimated $70-million project. Phase II is described in concept and recommended for later development and implementation. The plan features a north-south 3-track depressed consolidation corridor that would be used by both railroads in traveling through the central city. This, together with the relocation, elimination or reclassification of considerable existing track, plus the construction of grade separation structures and some secondary street barricades, will significantly benefit rail, vehicular and pedestrian traffic through improved speed, safety, economy and convenience. Improvement in land values, particularly along the Congaree River in the central city, and the facilitation of community development are anticipated. Negative impacts on business or residential neighborhoods are minimized by routing track through existing rail corridors or over mostly undeveloped land. At present, an environmental/community impact assessment is in progress; results are expected in 1980.
- Prepared in cooperation with Whitehead (Ralph) and Associates, Charlotte, NC.
Central Midlands Regional Planning CouncilColumbia, SC United States
Whitehead (Ralph) and AssociatesCharlotte, NC United States
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1979-7
- Pagination: 259 p.
- TRT Terms: Central business districts; City planning; Communities; Consolidations; Cost estimating; Estimates; Joint use; Planning; Railroad facilities; Railroad grade crossings; Railroads; Relocation (Facilities); Safety; Socioeconomic factors; Traffic engineering; Urban areas; Urban development
- Identifier Terms: Seaboard Coast Line Railroad; Southern Railway
- Uncontrolled Terms: Relocation
- Geographic Terms: South Carolina
- Old TRIS Terms: Central city; Grade crossing separations; Joint facilities; Urban railroad relocation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00199100
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OPPD-79/13 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-75224
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 19 1980 12:00AM