DOCUMENTATION ON DIGITAL SIMULATAION ANALYSIS OF VEHICLE DYNAMICS AND GEOMETRIC DESIGN
The research on digital simulation analysis for evaluating earth berm design and vehicle dynamics was initiated in May 1973 to provide realistic dynamic simulation and computer-aided design using several versions of highway-vehicle-object simulation model (HVOSM). During the course of this research, critical evaluation was made on the effects of highway/roadside environment on safety, as well as applicability of HVOSM on various analyses. Calspan versions V-3, V-4, V-7, Texas Transportation Institute version with vehicle-body terrain interactions, University of Michigan version with soft earth routine were extensively applied and both analytical and graphical outputs were improved and enhanced. Shrub impact subroutine was developed to provide an alternate energy-dissipating means for roadside environmental safety. This documentation was written as a manual to provide general information on various versions of HVOSM and shrub impact routine for a user to obtain general understanding of the simulation, to submit a run for obtaining both tabular and graphical outputs, and to interpret the results. The examples are provided to illustrate an effective utilization of the concepts and simulation techniques so as to achieve workable solutions to real problems.
- Prepared in cooperation with North Carolina Dept. of Transportation and Highway Safety, Raleigh.
North Carolina State University, RaleighRaleigh, NC United States 27695
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Huang, B K
- Chen, Y R
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 182 p.
- TRT Terms: Barriers (Roads); Digital simulation; Dynamic loads; Evaluation; Geometry; Highway planning; Highways; Intersections; Manuals; Mathematical models; Motor vehicles; Railroad tracks; Safety engineering; Shrubs; Subroutines; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Dynamic response
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00199089
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ERDS-110-77-1, FHWA/RD-79/S0082
- Files: NTIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 19 2002 12:00AM