VEHICLE LONGITUDINAL CONTROL AND RELIABILITY PROJECT. VOLUME 3. LONGITUDINAL CONTROL ANALYSIS AND DESIGN. PART A: SLT AND GRT SYSTEMS
Automated Guideway Transit (AGT) systems are a potential means of providing convenient, dependable, cost-effective urban transportation. Prior to deployment, technical obstacles in the areas of network operation, vehicle control, safety, reliability, and maintainability must be resolved. The Urban Mass Transportation Administration (UMTA) has established the Automated Guideway Transit Technology Program to overcome these obstacles. Since the longitudinal control system encompasses most of the essential vehicle subsystems, it plays a critical role in the guideway operation. The VLCR project addresses those areas where technological improvements at the subsystem level can substantially improve the deployability of AGT systems. This report describes the activities performed in developing single-thread longitudinal control system designs which permit short-headway operation. The study relates to current systems which operate at headways greater than 20 seconds using fixed-block protection as well as systems which operate at headways in the 5-second regime, using moving-block protection. Conclusions and recommendations are included in this report.
- See also PB-298767, Part B, RRIS 11 199047; Bulletin 8001.
Otis Elevator CompanyTransportation Technology Division, 11380 Smith Road
Denver, CO USA 80010
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Petrino, E
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 836 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Automatic control; Computer programs; Control devices; Headways; Intelligent transportation systems; Personal rapid transit; Rapid transit; Safety; Simulation; Traffic signal control systems
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Automatic control systems; Longitudinal stability; Rapid transit railways; Signal systems
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00199046
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OTIS/TTD/VLCR-061-1 Final Rpt., UMTA-IT-06-0148-79-7
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-70048
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 7 1982 12:00AM