AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE NOISE INTERFERENCE PROBLEMS AT LOGAN AIRPORT, BOSTON
A severe noise problem exists at many air traffic control tower locations in the VHF receivers during certain severe weather conditions. The problem has theoretically been investigated for Boston Logan Airport and has been found to be most likely related to corona discharge from air terminals close to the receiving antennas. The effect of the charge that can accumulate on the radome has not yet been well identified. The charge from raindrops transferred to the antennas seems unlikely as a noise source. Elimination techniques using static dischargers at some ATCT locations have been analyzed and are criticized. A detailed experimental study of the effect of corona noise on voice communications has been carried out using receivers and antennas which are representative of equipment in current use at air traffic control centers. In this part of the investigation a controlled discharge was induced at a sharp point in order to simulate the corona noise problems which have been reported during severe weather conditions. Suggestions for possible corrective procedures include relocation of the air terminals or placing corona balls over the tips of the air terminal. The latter modifications will also enhance the lightning protection capabilities. (Author)
- Availability: Microfiche copies only.
Atlantic Science CorporationIndian Harbour Beach, FL United States 32937
Washington, DC United States
- Lipofsky, B J
- Bent, R B
- Llewellyn, S K
- Leahy, J
- Publication Date: 1979-4
- Pagination: 106 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Airport control towers; Antennas; Electric discharge; Electrostatics; Lightning; Noise; Noise (Communications); Noise control; Omnidirectional antennas; Radio frequency interference; Radio receivers; Rain; Speech; Very high frequency; Voice communication; Weather
- Identifier Terms: Logan International Airport
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Charge transfer; Electrical corona; Noise radio; Static dischargers
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Environment; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00199032
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-79-58 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA77WAI-774
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 7 1980 12:00AM