IMPLEMENTING THE ROCHESTER COMMUNITY TRANSIT SERVICE DEMONSTRATION
The report describes the implementation process and the early impacts of the Rochester Community Transit Service demonstration in four suburbs of Rochester, New York. The demonstration project is an outgrowth of an earlier one which ended in October 1977. The new demonstration will continue until July 1979. In the first demonstration, a variety of demand-responsive services were operated in two Rochester suburbs -- Greece and Irondequoit. In the new demonstration, the door-to-door dial-a-ride service was expanded in July 1978 to two additional suburbs -- Brighton and Henrietta, and the handicapped service became a region-wide operation over a four-month period starting in July 1978. In addition, all four dial-a-ride service areas will eventually have computerized scheduling and dispatching using a dedicated minicomputer. The new demonstration is largely concerned with two institutional innovations developed by the Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority to deal with the problems of high operating costs and insufficient local funding availability. These innovations are the use of a competitively selected private operator and the shifting of the funding responsibility to the suburban towns served by dial-a-ride. The report describes the events leading to these innovations, their implementation, and their results and implications thus far.
- See also report dated March 1979, PB-296875.
Systan, Incorporated343 Second Street, Suite A-D.
Los Altos, CA United States 94022
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Holoszyc, M
- Newman, D A
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 140 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Computer programs; Demonstration projects; Finance; Implementation; Level of service; Local government; Minicomputers; Operating costs; Operations; Paratransit services; Persons with disabilities; Public transit; Regional transportation; Scheduling; Suburbs; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Financial management; Services; Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: New York (State)
- Old TRIS Terms: Demonstration
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00199018
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-79-20 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1416
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 7 1982 12:00AM