TRANSPORTATION AND THE FUTURE
The document covers technological developments in connection with urban, rural, intercity, cargo and space transportation over the next twenty to thirty years. Demographic changes will place an added emphasis on automated systems around the turn of the Century, and energy constraints may make electrically-powered systems more attractive. The passenger automobile will probably retain dominance of transportation; public transportation systems in urban areas will evolve into more complex, multi-element operations serving both downtown and the suburbs. Energy constraints may lead to added reliance on rail and bus travel for intercity runs. Cargo vehicles will make more sophisticated use of intermodal containers. Finally, the advent of the space shuttle will completely alter the nature of orbital missions.
Office of the Secretary of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Paulhus Jr, N G
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Pagination: 71 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Automation; Automobiles; Bus transportation; Commodities; Competition; Containerization; Containers; Demographics; Energy; Energy consumption; Forecasting; Freight transportation; Intercity transportation; Intermodal transportation; Passenger transportation; Policy; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Rural areas; Suburbs; Technological forecasting; Transportation modes; Transportation planning; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Future policies
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Energy; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00199011
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-I-79-1 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 7 2003 12:00AM