FINDINGS OF PRELIMINARY ANALYSES OF THE TRENTON OFF-PEAK FARE-FREE TRANSIT DEMONSTRATION
The report was prepared as an interim informational summary of the progress of the Trenton Fare-Free Demonstration. It presents findings of interim analyses regarding ridership impacts; passenger profiles and trip characteristics; and transportation supply and cost impacts. Given the limitation of this report, it can be useful as an interim informational summary pending completion of the full evaluation and preparation of the final project report. The report concludes that: Mercer Metro off-peak ridership has increased 45-50 percent during all free-fare periods; the Bus drivers have complained that the program has caused them to be late more often and to miss breaks because of more passengers and additional stops; and the cost of additional bus and driver service has increased but has not yet been estimated.
- See also report dated Dec 78, PB-291 455.
De Leuw, Cather and Company1250 Broadway
New York, NY USA 10001
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Connor, D L
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Bus transit; Costs; Demonstration projects; Economic impacts; Evaluation; Free fares; Level of service; Off peak periods; Passengers; Public transit; Ridership; Traffic; Transportation planning; Travel patterns; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Profiles; Services
- Geographic Terms: New Jersey
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Demonstration; Free transportation; Off-peak traffic
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00199010
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-NJ-52-0001-79-1Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1409
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 7 1981 12:00AM