A COMMUNICATIONS TRADE-OFF STUDY FOR COMPUTERIZED TRAFFIC CONTROL. VOLUME 1. FINAL REPORT
The goal of this study is to provide information that will be useful in reducing costs of future computerized urban traffic control systems. The final report provides such information in the form of tutorial and reference material, cost computation procedures, and an example of a communication subsystem specification. The report consists of two volumes, the main text in Volume 1 and appendixes in Volume 2. Volume 1 of the report covers the following subjects: It discusses the principal functions of a computerized traffic control system, describes the types of data that must be transmitted, provides a brief tutorial overview of the communication methods available for providing such transmission, and shows how to estimate the transmission rate requirements for typical systems. It also describes communication methods applicable to computerized traffic control, examines various types of data transmission techniques, discusses factors affecting communication costs, and describes procedures for computing costs and utility measures, with examples. Volume 1 also contains an example of a specification for a communication system that uses a combination of wire pairs and air path optics as the transmission media. The appendixes in Volume 2 provide detailed information on various topics relevant to material contained in Volume 1.
- See also Volume 2, PB-298844.
Sperry Rand CorporationSperry Systems Management Division
Great Neck, NY USA 11020
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Scott, J
- Gordon, R
- Soicher, B
- Dudek, J
- Kroeger, R
- Publication Date: 1978-11-22
- Pagination: 249 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Automation; Communication systems; Computer programs; Costs; Data communications; Highway traffic control; Radio; Radio control; Specifications; Systems engineering; Telecommunications; Traffic control; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Traffic control systems
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00199005
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-78- 85, GF-3704-1060-VOL-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-9275
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 7 1980 12:00AM