A STUDY OF USCG SURVEILLANCE REQUIREMENTS OVER THE NEXT 25 YEARS AND DEVELOPMENT OF A SURVEILLANCE R AND D PROGRAM. VOLUME I
The objectives of this study were to provide a multimission assessment of possible Coast Guard surveillance requirements over the next 25 years in 5-year increments; and to develop a Coast Guard surveillance R and D program. The recommended program was to consider likely future demands on USCG surveillance capabilities and develop a time-phased program which would allow the Coast Guard to respond to changing demands in a timely fashion. Thus the first phase of the analysis concentrated on identifying and assessing the impact of future trends and events which could affect surveillance requirements. A list of potential events relevant to Coast Guard surveillance requirements was developed. These major events were then evaluated via a Delphi, with the participation of experts in a variety of appropriate fields. Once the relative importance of each surveillance requirement was established, a survey of current and future available technology was undertaken, to determine current development status, current level of application, pace of development, efficacy in meeting each surveillance requirement. Using cross-relevance matrices, a gap analysis was conducted to determine the efficacy of the technologies, as currently applied and potentially available, in meeting the most important surveillance requirements. The result was a determination of the relative importance of the technologies for Coast Guard research and development.
- See also Volume 2, AD-A070 895.
United States Coast Guard2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20593
- Cetron, M J
- McFadden, C F
- Landua, O H
- Sugarek, S E
- Ferraiolo, R A
- Publication Date: 1979-4
- Pagination: 126 p.
- TRT Terms: Delphi method; Methodology; Military organizations; Planning; Remote sensing; Research; Research management; Surveillance; Technological forecasting; Technology transfer
- Identifier Terms: United States Coast Guard
- Old TRIS Terms: Delphi techniques; Military planning
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Planning and Forecasting; Research;
- Accession Number: 00198982
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: USCG-D-10-79-VOL-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-836036-A
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Nov 7 2002 12:00AM