SYSTEMS INTEGRATION: RNAV AND THE UPGRADED THIRD GENERATION SYSTEM
This document presents the results of an analysis of the features of the Upgraded Third Generation ATC System in a program of evaluation of the impact of the implementation of Area Navigation on the other features of the UG3RD System. This analysis includes evaluations of the impact of RNAV on the performance and costs of these UG3RD features and, in turn, their impact on the performance, costs and benefits attendant to the implementation of RNAV. As a part of this study of UG3RD System has been examined from the systems integration point of view. One result of the study is the establishment of the effects which RNAV could have on UG3RD feature implementation schedule tradeoffs and interactions. These judgements were based upon a study of the problems of the existing ATC system, and the capabilities of each UG3RD feature, including RNAV, for solving each of these problems. Overall RNAV implementation costs and benefits (airline, general aviation, ATC system and airline passenger) are projected annually to the year 2000. These annual figures have been discounted to present value totals (1976), according to guidelines issued by the Office of Management and Budget, and the resulting benefit/cost ratios of RNAV are presented herein.
Champlain Technology Industries1665 Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard, Suite 604
West Palm Beach, FL United States 33401
Washington, DC United States
- BOLZ, E H
- Scott, R W
- Stephensen, A R
- HEINE, W
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Pagination: 225 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Air traffic controllers; Airlines; Airports; Alternatives analysis; Aviation safety; Avionics; Benefits; Budgeting; Civil aviation; Cost effectiveness; Costs; Economic analysis; Forecasting; Guidelines; Microwave landing systems; Mode S; Modernization; Navigation; Performance; Work measurement
- Uncontrolled Terms: Area navigation
- Old TRIS Terms: Performance engineering; Upgraded third generation
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Finance; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00198976
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-77-22 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA72WA-3098
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 7 1980 12:00AM