A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF THE RAIL FREIGHT INDUSTRY
An overview of the rail industry was prepared. The objective of the overview was to provide a common level of understanding regarding the nature of the industry, to place the industry in the context of the overall economy, and to provide a preliminary view of industry problems. An introduction to the industry is provided in terms of its structural and operational characteristics. The economics of the industry are discussed in terms of its relationship to the overall economy, its position in the freight market, and the financial condition of the industry itself. Finally, two important constraints on the profitability of the rail industry are described: its relationship with the federal government and its relationship with rail labor.
Office of Management and BudgetSpecial Studies Division/Economics and Government
Washington, DC United States
- Pharis, C C
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Competition; Economic analysis; Federal government; Freight handling; Freight transportation; Industry structure; Labor market; Labor unions; Market research; Operations; Policy; Productivity; Profitability; Profits; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Regulations; Transportation policy; Work rules
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Freight operations; Government policies; Government regulations; National transportation policies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Freight Transportation; Law; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00198949
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1979 12:00AM