STATUS OF KNOWLEDGE OF SONIC BOOMS
The status of sonic boom technology with emphasis on the recent research results is summarized. Included are definitions of the boom carpets, both primary and secondary, a discussion of existing experience with primary booms including the status of overpressure predictions and boom minimization methodology through airplane design, an indication of the boom waveforms and audibility, and a discussion of focus booms resulting from aircraft maneuvers as well as the effect of abnormal atmospheric conditions on these maneuver booms.
- Presented at the 97th Technical Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, Cambridge, Mass., 12-16 June 1979.
Langley Research CenterNational Aeronautics and Space Administration
Hampton, VA USA 23665
- Maglieri, D J
- Carlson, H W
- Hubbard, H H
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamic noise; Aircraft; Aircraft noise; Atmosphere; Conferences; Evaluation; Properties of the atmosphere; Shock waves; Sonic boom; Sound transmission; Stratosphere; Technology; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aircraft design
- Old TRIS Terms: Atmospheric conditions; Upper atmosphere
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Design; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198885
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-TM-80113 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1980 12:00AM