AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT REPORT - ANTILLES AIR BOATS, INC., GRUMMAN G21A, N7777V, ST. THOMAS, VIRGIN ISLANDS, SEPTEMBER 2, 1978
About 1021 A.s.t. on September 2, 1978, Antilles Air Boats, Inc., Grumman G21A, operating as Flight 941, crashed while on a passenger flight from St. Croix to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. The plane crashed after the left engine failed and level flight could not be maintained with one engine. The captain attempted to fly the aircraft in ground effect, about 20 to 50 feet above the surface of the water. The aircraft struck the water when single-engine flight could not be maintained even in ground effect, cartwheeled around the left wing, and broke apart. The captain and 3 of the 10 passengers were killed, and the aircraft was destroyed. The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the accident was the inability of the aircraft to sustain single-engine flight and the captain's decision to attempt to fly the aircraft in ground effect rather than attempt an open sea emergency landing. Single-engine flight was not possible at any altitude because of the drag induced by the loss of the engine cowl, the decreased efficiency of the improperly maintained right propeller, and the overgrossed condition which resulted from a deficient FAA supplemental type certificate.
- Paper copy also available on subscription, North American Continent price $40.00/year; all others write for quote.
National Transportation Safety BoardBureau of Accident Investigation, 800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 1979-6-28
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation crashes; Aircraft; Crash investigation; Crash landing; Cruising flight; Emergency airstrips; Engines; Failure; Fatalities; Flight; Maintenance; Passenger aircraft; Small aircraft
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aircraft engines; Latitude; Single engine aircraft
- Geographic Terms: U.S. Virgin Islands
- Old TRIS Terms: Emergency landing; Level flight
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Maintenance and Preservation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198854
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB-AAR-79-9
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1980 12:00AM